Lanterns, the new HBO Max series began last night and I haven't seen it yet. I'm trying not to look at headlines about it, but sneaking into my awareness is that there's a detective story and mystery at it's heart. Modern mystery reading me loves that, but comic book reading me expects a different type of action.
From Comic Connect, how perfect is this cover of Hal Jordan having to give up his post for another? It's a theme of the new show as well, but not quite the same.
I'll be watching the new show tonight. Wish I could find my Green Lantern Action figure to have by my side while I see the story unfold.
From IMDB


I never really got why Green Lantern and the Corps became so popular. It happened after I stopped buying new comics but the whole time I was reading them before that the GLs were always a kind of second-division bunch. Guy Gardner boosted the profile a lot but not in a particularly positive way. Then the movie bombed and I thought that would be it but no, apparently they're a big deal now...
ReplyDeleteIt's all about Hal Jordan :) I never liked any of the later ones. I watched the first episode of Lanterns, and I'm not happy with how Hal is portrayed, but his apprentice is great. I'm hoping for a redemption arc for my hero. It's been a long time since I've read a comic but I'm guessing I liked how valuable quick thinking and imagination were for the Green Lanterns. Their pledge was appealing. Give me my heroic heroes. No edgy angsty stuff. Which HBO Lanterns unfortunately has, so far!
Delete